Rhubarb & Almond Loaf

A surplus of eggs and some slow rotting rhubarb urged me to make my darling husband a cake! As I am not only addicted to baking, but antique chairs, vegetable gardening books and cookery books I thumbed my newly acquired The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days: Recipes to Make Every Day Special book as I remembered seeing a rhubarb recipe somewhere. It seems rather illogical that I feel ridiculously appalled at the very thought of wasting some home grown rhubarb - so much so that its saving warranted using eggs, butter, sugar, almonds (ouch how expensive)  and electricity all so that I could shine my thriftiness halo! To be honest it was incredibly easy and I reserved the rhubarb syrup from the softened fruit as a pouring source. Mmm with vanilla ice cream and a warm slice.


The egg production is going rather well. We hit a record yesterday 10 out of 10! It was rather strange though I found my first soft shelled egg - it was laid like a blob on the coop floor. I have never encountered a less than chalky egg shell before so I was truly fascinated by the soft blebby mass. My children didn't believe it was a real egg before I split it open to reveal the freshest most perfect egg inside - as they say everyday is a school day...Knowledge you just can't buy.

I thought the dogs were annoying insisting on a walk at 7am but now I bolt out of bed at the crack of a sparrows fart to release the brood from their bed for fear they'll peck each other to death if I lay in my pit any longer. Of course for the past week I have jumped back in a quick as I jumped out but now it's back to the grindstone, school run, normality and yearning for a lie in!


Millie Moo - get out of Minnie's bed

Needless to say the cake went down well ;)


Comments

  1. Now you're talking! My husband loves rhubarb. And I love the picture of doggie in bed. Reminds me of my 4, totally ruined!!

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment