Is it going to be one of those days?

What was seemingly a relaxed morning, as the wee boy was having a lie in, soon developed into our usual mildly hysterical breakfast scenario; our 16 month old throwing food and beaker missiles, an over exuberant 9 year old relentlessly wittering on, and our 11 year old quietly getting on with it letting the chaos ride over her, whilst I am on my third cappuccino of the morning and my husband is trying not to get "radged" (his word not mine)! Sometimes you could throw a dog wee on the kitchen floor into the mix - we know how to rock 6am starts! 
I forgot to mention the Baked Beans...


Today said 9 year old, AKA Minnie..."can I go and see the kitten?" Me "no I can't find the door key" what a lame arse excuse...give me a break its just after crack of sparrows fart for goodness sake.Minnie: "What! We won't be able to feed her or anything". Me: "Oh don't be stupid just eat your breakfast" - supermum entry pushed to the back of the drawer for another year.Minnie "I've eaten my breakfast and brushed my teeth, can I go and feed the cat" *Bangs head against brick wall*

Meanwhile there's Cheerios (yes I feed my kids that poison) and Shreddies scattered all over the floor, small terrier excitedly hoovering them up, banana squidged into the table and high chair, ducks quacking at the back door for their breakfast - all images of the Good Life should be expelled from your mind, this is madness! 

The school bus leaves at 7.05am, so at 7.10am eldest runs back into the house, grabs forgotten trainers and runs out again. Dad taxi is outside waiting. 

It's 8.18am, terrier is asleep on the back of the sofa, the garage door is still locked with no key (but I can access garage through the office so kitten has been fed), littlest is back in bed because he threw just one too many wobblies, husband is at work, washing machine is on its spin cycle, I'm half crazed with a caffeine overdose, very free range chickens are let out, bantams are in their pen fed and watered, the Boden dungarees have been paid for on Paypal and BREATH! 

It's 13 days till we get a part time nanny, counting the days? Yes definitely! One of those days? Yes certainly, because presently everyday is one of those days, it's called LIFE!

Postscript:
Well now at school run o'clock the developments of today have been epic. A call from the joiner who was supposed to be fitting a door in a flat for me, ready for the tenants moving in at 9am tomorrow morning rang to say the door was an irregular size and doors needed to be ordered to fit. "No shit Sherlock" went through my mind, I'd told him to measure up over a month ago, so doing it on the eve of the deadline was not a stroke of genius. Thinking on my feet as ever, I knew that my parents garage had a stash of vintage doors from when we skip ratted them so a half hour dash over to meet the joiner there in the hope of salvaging a door was next on the agenda. Yet again, plans thwarted, my brother had the garage key in his car - a 45 minute drive away, *internal scream*. A gardener and handyman later we laid our hands on a key (sounds so middle class - it so isn't) we found the stash had been plundered already - plan C. Joiner is now making a door, the key to the flat door didn't fit, the tenants move in at 9am, and my son screamed his way through what was supposed to be a lovely lunch out meeting new friends. I now have to pretend to be ready for supper - spaghetti carbonara of course (the best standby dish ever when you have hens/ducks, a knuckle end of parmesan and something vaguely resembling ham/salami/chorizo in the back of the fridge). OK so the dogs have only managed a quick run down the track, and I have paperwork up to my armpits on my desk, and plastic dinosaurs strewn across the living room floor, but as I said before THAT'S LIFE, flying by the seat of our pants...

Comments