The Chelsea Flower Show: A Widow's Tale

So at 11.30pm on the 12th May my husband Will and the team, my brother and brother in law, set off in one rickety blue transit van and one black Navarra. Both vehicles were filled to the gunnel's and each roof racked and stacked with what looked like an illegal load each! They were London bound, and owing to the time they would go straight to site. This madness continued and the boys worked hammer and tong right up to judgement day.

In my husband's absence I was left to single handedly look after our two girls, 9 and 7, two terriers, 10 chickens, the house oh and run my business. Our day starts with a 6am roll call, first the hens are released from their coop, then it's kids up and dressed, breakfasted, teeth and hair brushed and the school run at 7.20am. A sigh of relief at another bus caught, then a celebratory coffee before the dog walk. After all this it's usually just before 9am - time to start the day job...

The first morning a van arrived, as we work from home this in itself wasn't unusual, but the driver enquired as to my name, my married one, and this was odd as I use my maiden name for business. With curiosity almost getting the better of me he produced the most divine bouquet of flowers from the back of his van. They were from Will, the card read, 'I'll be back soon, love from your husband'. He is one in a million!

So life goes on as they say, and it's true! Each day our routine became more fluent. Will got more tired, I knew he wouldn't be eating properly, and then reports by iPhone of progress. My photos sent were of cakes baked, children's homework - normality. Will's photos by comparison were of the product of blood sweat and almost tears...

 It was at times, if I'm honest, to be honest and encouraging. From my end it looked way off but I had every faith that he would deliver, Will would NEVER fail. He did not disappoint.





The waterfall detail

Post box for your letters

Visitors, from Pensioners

to Royalty!

One thing is for sure, whilst I have been a Chelsea widow, my husband has done us proud. His Basildon Bond Centenary Garden was awarded a Bronze Medal. After being the runner up in RHS Yong Designer of the Year Com,petition last year, a silver-gilt at RHS Tatton Park, and a show garden at RHS Hampton Court in July William Quarmby's name is hopefully truly on the Garden Design map. Sadly I only got to see the garden on the last day - it was breathtaking, the children missed out. And tomorrow he comes home...*dances around sitting room embarrassing the children*

Comments